Because mothers admittedly do more of the heavy lifting in most homes, most families wind up rolling out the red carpet on Mother's Day and do well to hand Dad a cheap tie on Father's Day. This year, try to recognize the importance of fathers by going an extra mile. It could be help to your relationship with your spouse or partner and encourage them to bond with the kids too.
Here are some ideas:
1. Make an event of the celebration - get out of the house for a family activity.
2. Have the children (including you when honoring your father or father figure) take part in selecting the gift.
3. Make sure to express what you and the children specifically appreciate about his contributions to the family.
4. Save constructive criticism for next week - trust me, the day of honor will buy you the right to be a little more blunt the next time he falls short.
5. And if he doesn't do enough to deserve #s 1 through 4, do something to acknowledge him and encourage interaction between him and the children. You'll eventually be glad you did.
Xavier Knight is the Christian fiction pen name for Author C. Kelly Robinson, including the best-selling novels God Only Knows, No More Mr. Nice Guy and the critically acclaimed Between Brothers (Random House.) He lives outside Dayton, Ohio with his wife, daughter and son. He is hard at work on his next novel and on a nonfiction project. Visit him on Twitter at @xavierknight at The Knight's Table