In the past month we have learned that Thomas Nelson has relaunched Westbow Press as a self-publishing leg and Harlequin has followed suit with Horizons. Both use the same Self-publishing company, Author Solutions.
This news is so huge that most of the blogs, my emails, message board discussions and writing online groups I belong to can't stop harping on it. So I might as well add my two cents to it.
- there were more self-pubbed books released last year than traditional publishers
- last year publishing houses laid off staff and some filed bankruptcy because the psychographics of readers changed. book buyers aren't always readers. more are souvenir purchasers, and growing (think Twilight, President Barack Obama coffee table books, and novelized books)
- the economy still needs a good plumber and money is funny, honey
- smartphones have direct relation to epublishing success, which opens the door for stories to be created in many forms besides books
- The Shack is still a New York Times Bestseller
- everyone you know thinks that writing a book is the next come up. so no matter what you say or warn them regarding using POD as a solution, they ain't drinking your milk
So why lose your mind?
What gets me is that most of the hateration about these new changes are coming from traditionally published authors. Really...lol.
It's laughable to me all the time that was wasted this week on this topic. Yes i believe that independent publishing is a viable solution for many. I represent clients who are doing that(mainly ministers, business owners and public speakers) through Lightening Source as small press owners. However, I know plenty folks who would still would rather cut corners then write a compelling, relevant, page-turning book, create a business plan that includes funding marketing and/or publishing the read, becoming educated about the publishing industry, so that they can come out the gate in the best way the first time. In other words, folks want something for nothing.
My last cent on this topic is simple. There is no cheap and easy route to publication. If it was, then the reward would be cheapened. You understand?